Gearbox lube opinions (sorry English)

• Hallo! This maybe my second post. My name is James Seabolt (Sebold) and I live in Eastern Tennessee USA. My Trabbi originally came from Hungary. I've owned it since September of 2012.

My current question concerns the freewheel device and gearbox lubricants.

I could not find this HLP 68 initially so I used SAE 30 engine oil. Which worked well even below freezing.

In the summer of 2013, my freewheel device started giving me trouble engaging. I've heard of people using automatic transmission fluid which has the same viscosity grade of SAE 20. So I used Dextron III ATF. Immediately it fixed the problem until this past October when it started to get cold outside. Eventually 4th gear would not engage at all.

I was about to replace it but based on some opinions decided to flush the gearbox with diesel fuel for about 10 KM. Immediately 4th gear started engaging again. After a couple of flushes, I finally got all the silver sludge out of the gearbox.

I tried Ford Mercon ATF but still had to drive the car for about 3 KM before 4th gear would engage.

I decided to try an experiment. I decided to overfill the gearbox just slightly with 1.5 liters of Ford Mercon ATF and 500 ml of diesel fuel. So far this seems to work well in cold weather (0 to 3 C).

I have a theory. I'm wondering if "flooding" the freewheel device with oil will improve it's operation. My theory is 1.5 liters just "baths" the gears and oil is eventually forced into the freewheel device after 3 KM or so? But by overfilling the gearbox just slightly will cause oil to already be within the freewheel device.

Or maybe by thinning the gearbox oil by 25% with diesel just made the lubricant thinner (example: viscosity grade of 30 or 40)?

I finally found this HLP 68 lube from a tractor parts store. It goes under the name AW ISO 68th in the USA but have not tried it. I will wait until this spring when the weather warms up.

No doubt the freewheel device is probably worn but is it "worn out"? My car has 83.000 KM but don't know the history of it.

Once 4th gear starts engaging, it engages smoothly the rest of the day. But does not like anything thicker than automatic transmission fluid in cold weather.

Anybody use different grades of gearbox oil between spring/summer and fall/winter to get around this problem?

Since I saw an improvement after flushing the gearbox with diesel could the freewheel device still be "gunked up"?

I was told not to give up on it until I made sure the inside of the gearbox was clean.

Anybody know a safe mileage (kilometers) when doing a diesel fuel flush? I've just been going up the road and back for about 10 KM.

Any options on gearbox lubricants appreciated!

Thanks!

• In english? okay lets try it :)

This diesel method sometimes work on worn out Trabant gearboxes, but in my experience the freewheel device only works for some time before it is completly broken.

I used SAE 80 for two years, also in Winter, because i didn't know better :) . i had no problem with this.

But you really should use the HLP 68. If the 4. gear does not move in with this oil, the freewheel device is worn out.

Grüsse, ( :) )
    Tom

"Nicht alles Braune auf der Welt ist Schokoladeneis."

(Computer Sam in Jonas-Der letzte Detektiv)

• @jseabolt
    You'll get this answer from one of the very few remaining Trabant "milemakers" in our community.
    If the box isn't worn out, you can definetly use ATF. I used to fill it in my Trabant's boxes for more than 450.000 mls until today. I always used DEXRON II, but I'm sure DEXRON III will make a good job also. ATF won't cause any freewheel problems, that's a fact! But it makes low temperature shifting even a little easier than HLP68 does. And it's available at every cow town gas station.
    Greetings
    Lutz

Jawohl, Sie haben richtig gehört! Wir machen Hausbesuche! Selbstverständlich ohne langwierige vorherige Terminabsprache! Wir kommen auch zu Ihnen! Stets zu Diensten...Ihre Steuerfahndung! :grinsi:

• Thanks guys!

Can someone explain how this device works and what causes it not to engage when the gearbox is cold? I was told the reason the freilauf has trouble engaging with thicker oil and in cold weather is because the “clip” that holds everything together also acts as a spring and that piece becomes weak and the automatic transmission fluid is just allowing it to function easier due to less resistance. I know the surface of the drum can develop flat spots and the rollers can wear down.

The device engages smoothly when it does engage.

One odd thing. I tried OW20 synthetic motor oil and the freilauf did not like this oil at all! My theory was the oil would remain a 20 weight when cold intead of getting thicker when colder. But it’s odd than Mercon ATF is the same weight as SAE 20 but works much better. This I don’t understand.

I understand this HLP 68 is a hydraulic oil and not a gear oil so maybe running the correct lubricant will simply fix the problem? Wishful thinking? I’ll give it a try now that I found it. I ordered new parts as well as the “cage” from TrabantWelt just in case. I might as well while I have the gearbox apart.

I had plans on installing my spare gearbox (but have no idea if it’s any good) then tearing into my present gearbox and replacing the parts. I have a manual (in German) and the job doesn’t look too difficult. Just a matter of finding the time to do it.

I was told the idle speed can affect the operation of the freilauf. So what does that have to do with anything?

I replaced the original 220 watt 6 volt generator with a 6 volt GM alternator back in September just before it started getting cold and it’s odd that this problem seemed to reoccur afterwards. This alternator produces 60 amps, twice of what the original generator produced but has an unwanted side effect. When I turn the headlamps on, the alternator compensates for the voltage drop and the idle speed drops by 200 to 300 rpms! On a 100 HP engine you would probably never notice this but I suppose on a 28 HP engine it really produces allot of drag. I had to bump the idle speed up so that the engine would not stall when I turned the headlamps on.

I did have some photos on my photo album but accidently hit the wrong button on my smartphone and deleted the directory. But here is an instructable I wrote:

http://www.instructables.com/i…ternator-on-your-old-car/

I did try driving around with the headlamps on to reduce the idle speed but it seems to make no difference in the operation of the freilauf. My plans to get around this is to wire in a relay so my headlamps turn on and off with the ignition switch (rather than just supply power from the ignition switch directly) and set the idle speed at 700 rpms so it’s consistent. That would also work well as daytime running lamps. Not required in the United States but a good idea.

Another thing I wondered about was my driving habits. I was told I need to “ease into it” when going into 4th gear. I found if I shift into 4th gear and allow the RPMs to fall down to idle speed, let out on the clutch, then apply the accelerator softly, rather than applying the accelerator while letting out on the clutch at the same time (as if I am pulling out in 1st gear) allows the freewheel device to engage much easier for the first few kilometers until the device wants to engage.

As far as the amount of oil in the gearbox is concerned. I did not think about this. Perhaps I could make note of the overfill bolt and see if it’s higher than the input shaft. If it’s higher than the input shaft, then that should answer my question concerning flooding the freilauf versus oil being forced into it while driving.

HLP68 is used by farm machinery also in the USA. Often by german manufacturers.

Tractor parts stores are a great place to find lubricants for oldtimer European cars when you can't find it from autopart stores!

My Fiat 124 Spider requires a GL-1 90 gear oil which is also used in old Ford tractors. I've tried thinner oils to permit easier shifting in winter but the syncronizers do not like thinner oil for some reason (wants to grind).

Here is what I believe to be the US equivilant to HLP 68.

• Hi.
    No offense, but it's most unlikely that you can't "repair" a worn out gear box by continuously changing oil and testing lots of different oils all across the board.
    You cannot rationalize away an existing damage either. As you may have noticed, the "Freilauf" does not cost such a lot of money, so I would consider repairing the gearbox.
    Please keep in mind, that this car was produced for about 30 years. It's some kind of the "Beetle form the GDR". The engineers did a lot of research to increase life expectancy of all parts. Nevertheless, it's a car based on technology of the 60s. At that time, maintenance intervals were much shorter than today.
    On the other side they tried to improve the endurance of their products. The longer the overall life expectancy, the lower the costs. A bit different than today.....
    However, as you can read over here, usage of ATF fluid within an trabant gearbox works flawlessly in several cases. Nevertheless, I would prefer the recommended HLP hydraulic fluid though.
    Just have a look at http://trabitechnik.com/images/sri/Tr508_J-254A.pdf
    Here is some kind of crappy manually re-worked Google translation of this document:

Hopefully this helps you to understand what's going on inside of this gearbox,.

• Thanks Foliengriller. No problem. I realize using different oils is probably a long shot. I just wanted to make sure there was something I could try such as flushing out any sediment with diesel or I had the idle speed cranked up too high before assuming the device was shot.

This car has 83,000 KM so assuming it has the original gearbox, then the freewheel has went 20,000 KM past it's life expectancy. I will give the HLP 68 a shot and see what happens. If it fails to engage with the correct oil, I will swap gearboxes and repair the other one. I am curious to see if the spare that came with the car is of any use and was not pulled from a scrape metal pile!

Do these things freewheels fail all at once or do they fail progressively over time? Mine seemed to start giving me issues all at once back in 2013. I guess the Dextron III gave me an extra 3000 KM of extra time before it started giving me issues again? Does that sound typical?

What about the idle speed issue I mentioned? if the idle speed was set past 1000 rpms, would that affect the freewheel's operation?

• I replaced the original 220 watt 6 volt generator with a 6 volt GM alternator back in September just before it started getting cold and it’s odd that this problem seemed to reoccur afterwards. This alternator produces 60 amps, twice of what the original generator produced but has an unwanted side effect. When I turn the headlamps on, the alternator compensates for the voltage drop and the idle speed drops by 200 to 300 rpms! On a 100 HP engine you would probably never notice this but I suppose on a 28 HP engine it really produces allot of drag. I had to bump the idle speed up so that the engine would not stall when I turned the headlamps on.

Du brauchst eine größere Riemenscheibe für Deine Lichtmaschine. Die abgegebene Spannung steigt proportional zur Drehzahl, d.h. die 6...7 V sollen erst bei einer Motordrehzahl von 600...700 Umdrehungen gerade erreicht werden und nicht schon früher, sonst wird der Motor stark abgebremst, wie Du festgestellt hast.

Zum Freilauf: Je geringer der Drehzahlunterschied ist, desto leichter kann der Freilauf einrasten. Also anfangs den Motor abtouren lassen und bis 30...40 km/h ausrollen, danach funktioniert der Freilauf eigentlich wieder normal.
    Von Experimenten mit Diesel und ATF-Ölen würde ich abraten. HLP 68 ist am besten geeignet. Hochlegiertes Spezialöl erschwert die Synchronisierung, das wirkt sich also negativ auf das Schaltverhalten aus.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Der_Ingenieur ()

• Nun will ich mal noch meinen Senf dazu beitragen, erst mal in deutsch, dann werde ich das mal von einem Übersetungsprogramm bearbeiten lassen, und einfügen.
    Ich habe beruflich als Inbetriebnahmeingenieur sehr häufig mit Ölen und Fetten der jetzigen Produktion zu tun.
    Das HLP 68 wird hier als Hydrauliköl und "Schmieröl" für die Lagerschmierung großer Gebläse verwendet. Das besondere an HLP 68 ist der Zinkanteil im Öl, den viele Anwender wegen Umweltverträglichkeit heute ablehnen. Genau dieser Zinkanteil ist es aber, der diese Öle für verschiedene Anwendungen notwendig macht, Den Einsatz von zinkfreien Ölen leht z.B der weltweit tätige Vetilatorhersteller ab. Öle welche für historische Fahrzeuge eingesetzt werden enthalten in der Regel Zinkanteile.
    Zwei Herstellerbezeichnungen für diesen Verwendungsfall Aral Vitam GX 68 (hab ich verwendet), CastrolHyspin AWH-M 68 .
    Nun die Übersetzung(bitte um Berichtigung, wenn was falsch ist)
    Now I want to contribute sometimes even my mustard to it, for the moment in in German, then I will allow to work on sometimes from a Übersetungsprogramm, and insert.

I deal professionally as an comissionig engineer very often with oils and fat of the current production.
    The HLP 68 is used here as a hydraulic oil and "lubricating oil" for the camp lubrication of big blowers. Special in HLP 68 the zinc portion is in the oil which many users reject because of environmental compatibility today. It is exactly this zinc portion, however, which makes these oils for different uses necessary. The application of oils free of zinc leht, e.g., the worldwide active Ventilatorhersteller from. Oils which for historical vehicles are used contained as a rule zinc shares.
    Two manufacturer's names for this use case Aral Vitam GX 68(I have used) CastrolHyspin AWH M 68.

• Du brauchst eine größere Riemenscheibe für Deine Lichtmaschine. Die abgegebene Spannung steigt proportional zur Drehzahl, d.h. die 6...7 V sollen erst bei einer Motordrehzahl von 600...700 Umdrehungen gerade erreicht werden und nicht schon früher, sonst wird der Motor stark abgebremst, wie Du festgestellt hast.

Zum Freilauf: Je geringer der Drehzahlunterschied ist, desto leichter kann der Freilauf einrasten. Also anfangs den Motor abtouren lassen und bis 30...40 km/h ausrollen, danach funktioniert der Freilauf eigentlich wieder normal.
    Von Experimenten mit Diesel und ATF-Ölen würde ich abraten. HLP 68 ist am besten geeignet. Hochlegiertes Spezialöl erschwert die Synchronisierung, das wirkt sich also negativ auf das Schaltverhalten aus.

Ich muss meine Lichtmaschine Scheibendurchmesser zu messen. Welche Größe Riemenscheibe auf den ursprünglichen 12-Volt-Wechselstromgeneratoren verwendet wurde?

Ich glaube, dass die 12-Volt-Wechselstromgeneratoren Trabant waren 45 Ampere? Der, den ich bin mit einer 60 Amp-Modell. Also sollte ich erhöhen die Scheibendurchmesser auf der Grundlage dieser und vielleicht mit dem größten eine Verfügung, um diese GM Lichtmaschine passen gehen?

Ich habe in der Vergangenheit festgestellt, dass, wenn der Freilauf nicht zu engagieren, da die Motordrehzahl abnimmt, der Freilauf wird mit einem Mal ein und können das ganze Auto zu spüren!

• Der Wirkdurchmesser der Riemenscheiben ist bei der 12-V-Lichtmaschine (Drehstrom) ca. 70 mm und bei der 6-V (Gleichstrom) ca. 80 mm.
    Welche Lichtmaschine hast Du? Gibt es dazu technische Daten?

• Nun will ich mal noch meinen Senf dazu beitragen, erst mal in deutsch, dann werde ich das mal von einem Übersetungsprogramm bearbeiten lassen, und einfügen.
    Ich habe beruflich als Inbetriebnahmeingenieur sehr häufig mit Ölen und Fetten der jetzigen Produktion zu tun.
    Das HLP 68 wird hier als Hydrauliköl und "Schmieröl" für die Lagerschmierung großer Gebläse verwendet. Das besondere an HLP 68 ist der Zinkanteil im Öl, den viele Anwender wegen Umweltverträglichkeit heute ablehnen. Genau dieser Zinkanteil ist es aber, der diese Öle für verschiedene Anwendungen notwendig macht, Den Einsatz von zinkfreien Ölen leht z.B der weltweit tätige Vetilatorhersteller ab. Öle welche für historische Fahrzeuge eingesetzt werden enthalten in der Regel Zinkanteile.
    Zwei Herstellerbezeichnungen für diesen Verwendungsfall Aral Vitam GX 68 (hab ich verwendet), CastrolHyspin AWH-M 68 .
    Nun die Übersetzung(bitte um Berichtigung, wenn was falsch ist)
    Now I want to contribute sometimes even my mustard to it, for the moment in in German, then I will allow to work on sometimes from a Übersetungsprogramm, and insert.

Sie erwähnten, dass HLP 68 enthält Zinkverbindungen.

Ich fand das MSDS auf dieser Mystik AW ISO 68 Hydrauliköl von Tractor Supply Store und es erwähnt Zink enthält, so ist es eine sichere Wette, das ist das gleiche Öl HLP 68.

http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/663383002.pdf

Der_Ingenieur:

Die Lichtmaschine I installiert ist ein typisches 12-Volt-AC Delco "Model 10-SI" auf GM-Fahrzeuge aus den 1970er Jahren durch die 1980er Jahre verwendet, außer mäßig mit einem 6-Volt-Regler. Ich weiß nicht, ob GM verwendet diese auf Opels oder einfach nur "westlichen Hemisphäre" gebaut GM-Fahrzeuge (Chevrolet, Pontiac).

Eine allgemein "nachgerüstet" anstelle von Bosch, Lucas und 6-Volt-Generatoren, Traktoren etc. Zwar soll eine Fabrik Ersatz für GM-Fahrzeuge, sind sie

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

• Achso, Du verwendest also eine 12-V-Drehstrom-Lichtmaschine mit einem 6-V-Regler.

Am besten ist wie gesagt eine größere Riemenscheibe, um das Problem mit der Leerlaufdrehzahl zu lösen. Du brauchst dann wahrscheinlich noch einen längeren Keilriemen. Vielleicht paßt die 80-mm-Riemenscheibe der originalen Trabant-Gleichstrom-Lichtmaschine? Wie groß ist die jetzige Riemenscheibe?

Es gibt auch noch die Möglichkeit, zwischen Regler und Erregerspule einen Widerstand zu schalten, aber dann reduziert sich die Leistungsfähigkeit der Lichtmaschine insgesamt (keine 60 A mehr).

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Der_Ingenieur ()

• Achso, Du verwendest also eine 12-V-Drehstrom-Lichtmaschine mit einem 6-V-Regler.

Am besten ist wie gesagt eine größere Riemenscheibe, um das Problem mit der Leerlaufdrehzahl zu lösen. Du brauchst dann wahrscheinlich noch einen längeren Keilriemen. Vielleicht paßt die 80-mm-Riemenscheibe der originalen Trabant-Gleichstrom-Lichtmaschine? Wie groß ist die jetzige Riemenscheibe?

Es gibt auch noch die Möglichkeit, zwischen Regler und Erregerspule einen Widerstand zu schalten, aber dann reduziert sich die Leistungsfähigkeit der Lichtmaschine insgesamt (keine 60 A mehr).

Die Riemenscheibe Größe ist 65mm. Ich glaube nicht, dass der Trabant-Generator-Riemenscheibe wird die AC Delco Lichtmaschine passen, aber ich kann mit größerem Durchmesser Riemenscheiben für diese Lichtmaschine zu bekommen.

Ein Gedanke war der Umzug der Sensor-Draht, der die Lichtmaschine anweist, Spannung unter Last in die Ladesäule zu erhöhen. Dies wird jedoch den Zweck des Umwandelns des Autos von einem Generator mit einem Generator zu besiegen. Ich habe nie erwartet, dass diese Lichtmaschine, eine solche Belastung des Motors zu schaffen, als ich die Scheinwerfer an!

[Blockierte Grafik: http://cdn.instructables.com/FEF/KZFF/I1NUG8Z6/FEFKZFFI1NUG8Z6.LARGE.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/alternatorWiringImages1/sensor2.gif]
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/alternatorWiringImages1/sensor1.gif]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/alternatorWiringImages1/image027.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://cdn.instructables.com/FC5/J1OM/I1NUG2ZK/FC5J1OMI1NUG2ZK.LARGE.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://cdn.instructables.com/FP9/TZTI/I1NUG319/FP9TZTII1NUG319.LARGE.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://cdn.instructables.com/FO1/JBYN/I1NUG2YW/FO1JBYNI1NUG2YW.LARGE.jpg]

• Hallo @jseabolt leider ist mein schriftliches englisch miserabel, aber beim lesen und sprechen mache ich Fortschritte. Deshalb werdich das dann wieder in ein Übersetzungsprogramm einfügen und den Text übersetzen lassen.
    Das Datenblatt des von dir ausgewählten Mystik AW ISO 68 Hydrauliköl habe ich mir angeschaut. Hier wird ja auch beschrieben ,dasses für Ventilatoren eingesetzt wird (wie das von mir verwendete Öl) die Viskosität stimmt und der Zinkanteil ist vorhanden. Ich habe jetzt keinene technischen Daten entdeckt, die dem Einsatz in deinem Trabantgetriebe entgegenstehen. zur Vorsicht würde ich evtl das Getriebe füllen zum Spülen, danach wieder ablassen und entsorgen. Austropfen lassen und mit der richtigen Menge Befüllen. Ich glaub vor mehr als 30 Jahren in der DDR hat keiner so genau gewusst, welche technischen Daten das Öl hat, Haupsache HLP 68. Ich denk, nur der Zinkanteil ist ne wichtige Komponente.
    Also füll es ein.
    Ach übrigens, Ich hab geschmunzelt bei deinen Bildern. Der Trabant in den USA ist ja ebenso inkontinent wie in der DDR früher.
    Hello, 'jseabolt', unfortunately, my written one is miserable in English, but with read and speak I make progress. Therefore, I will insert then again in a translation programme and allow to translate the text.
    The data sheet of theMystik AW ISO 68 hydraulic oils I have looked. Here it is also described that it is used for ventilating fans (as the oil used by me) the viscosity is right and the zinc portion exists. Now I have discovered no technical data which stand in the way of the application in your "satellite" gear. To the care I would fill the gear for rinsing, give up afterwards again and decontaminate. Let drain and with the right amount fill. I believe more than 30 years ago in the GDR nobody has known exactly which technical data the oil has, only HLP 68 they know. I think, only the zinc portion is an important component.
    So fill it.
    Oh, by the way, I have smiled with your pictures. The Trabant in the USA is former also inkontinent like in the GDR.

Viel Spass
    Macha

• Gibt es einen Unterschied zwischen Hydrauliköl und Getriebeöl, auch wenn sie beide den gleichen Viskositätsgrad? Soweit wie sie die Operation des Freilaufs beeinflussen?

Automatikgetriebeflüssigkeit hat in etwa die gleiche Viskosität wie 20 Gewichtsmotoröl . Aber auch, wenn ich versuchte, die dünner 0W20 bei kälterem Wetter Vergleich gerade 20 Gewichtsmotoröl sein sollte, hat mein Freilaufeinrichtung nicht, wie es überhaupt.
    Das macht keinen Sinn für mich!

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/images/Table_5_viscosity_comparison_chart.jpg]

Ich gebe diesem AW ISO 68 versuchen, senken Sie die Leerlaufdrehzahl, und wenn ich habe immer noch Probleme wird die Swap-Getriebe.

Es gibt etwa 150 Trabis in den USA, die in der Registrierung. Abgesehen von denen in Museen. Es gibt drei (eingetragene) im Bundesstaat Tennessee Ich kenne mit einer Bevölkerung von rund sieben Millionen Menschen. Und sie sind sehr selten!

Überall wo ich hing Leute mich fragen, welche Art von Auto, das ich fahre, aber ich treffe auch Menschen, die ursprünglich aus Deutschland und anderen Ländern des ehemaligen Ostblocks, die erstaunt, dass es einen Trabant in Tennessee sind. Die meisten Deutschen, die ich treffen sagen, dass sie ursprünglich aus der DDR noch gute Erinnerungen an das Auto.

Unten Dieser Mann besitzt einen lokalen deutschen Auto-Werkstatt. Er sagte mir, er verließ die DDR vor dem Fall der Berliner Mauer war auch im Jahr 1961 errichtet.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Trabant/2013-10-29_12-10-29_532_zpsbd531735.jpg]